It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:05 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:45 pm 

What transmission would be the best for the highway. It would be going in a 1600 dp sandrail that is my daily driver an i live in Florida so hills aren't really an issue any help would be great

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:05 pm 
BOTM Winner

A mild-built car transmission will do you fine, or maybe a 3 rib would work too, but it is geared a little lower than the stock car tranny.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Around here it is flat too. I know a few guys that run street only buggies and they run car trannies due to the higher gears. I think there is also one called a highway version of some kind that has real high gears, it's the best fit in my opinion. But personally if I ever get around to time money and space to build a street buggy like I want I would use a flipped 6 rib and run mid engine to eliminate some of the front end pushing in corners.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:55 am 

I lived in florida for a while. Long enough to find BOTH hills. :lol: I only wish I would have had a buggy when I was there. If you are still going to run a tall rear tire I would go 3 rib myself. My friend has 1641 and car tranny with 31" rear tires and he can't even use 4th unless he is gonna go 88mph and go back in time. Plus the granny gear 1st in bus trans is nice for stoplight to stoplight driving and doing little frond end pulls for the guy next to you at light. My old buggy with stock 3 rib and 31" tires ran approx 3300 rpm at 65 mph in 4th gear on highway.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:45 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

probably a stock 5 rib if the buggy is light with 31" or smaller rear tire and stock 3 rib with anything larger than a 31" rear tire imo.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I drive my Dunebuggy all over Atlanta.. When I had an 1835, 31 inch tires and a 3 rib.. It would fly on the highway.. Easily hit 80 mph...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 am 

Ok so its looking like a car tranny or a 3 rib bus tranny. Any particular year that would be best of those from what I read a 73 and up car tranny would be best an for the bus tranny any year? The tires i run in the back right now are 195/50/r15 or 205/50/r15 I dont quite remember I know there 27'' tall
From what I read I think I already have a 73 and up car tranny but Im very sure it has a R&P changed out from a stock 3.89? to a 4.12? maybe even close 3rd and 4th cause its in the 4k rpm doing 65-70ish

Here is A pic of my sandrail and the tranny it has right now

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you have a working Transmission, that would be a great 1st choice...

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions