It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:19 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am 
BOTM Winner

Working with Gary Peloquin I used the TBD in my Woodsbuggy for testing last season. Our main concern for the offroad application was how Cutter brakes would work with it and what effect it had on the differential. After the season was over I removed the TBD and shipped it back to Gary for Inspection. It passed the Inspection with no ware to any of the gears etc and was as tight as the day I installed it. The Differential is designed to place the power to the wheel with traction unlike the VW open diff that puts power to the wheel with no traction. The TBD does this very well and has made a hugh difference in my cars ability to climb and get thru the mud holes. Ok now to the Cutter brakes. Off power it acts just like a standard open differential and will turn on a dime. It does work under power as long as your moving. Not as well as an open diff however well enough to warrent its use. From a dead stop it wants to stall the motor with the cutter applied. It's because it sees the brake on as the wheel with traction and does what its designed to do. My personal opinion it is the closest thing to posi traction with open diff functionalty avalable for the VW trans and is worth the few downfalls and is a viable option for the Offroad application. I am so convinced with it's performance that Plumberbill will be Installing one in his Buggy. It is expensive at $1199.00 retail however a good German Super diff is around $500.00 used. If your Interested In one of these PM me for Info and discounted pricing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm 

Does this diff seem to make the buggy more predictable as you lose and regain traction with one wheel on steep hill climbs?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

Predictable in what way? My experience has been that it tends to keep power on both wheels most of the time on a hill. I base this on the two rooster tails behind me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 pm 
WB Videographer

On a steep wide open to make it hillclimb you can forget about any steering corrections with a locked diff.
I'm talking steep where you front wheels are not doing much in the way of steering.
Hello Mr. tree.
Whereas, if you're going slow over a boulder hill climb [not so steep], and able to stop reposition it works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

Last edited by Maddog on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have had no issues on any hills in Wellsville weather they are wide open or curved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 pm 
WB Videographer

One of my previous bugs had a lockrite diff, with bolted tires on a steep dirt climb, it went the way it was pointed. Kinda like driving a half-track with no steering brakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 am 
BOTM Winner

Is not the lockrite a real live axel locker. The Peloquin functions similar to an open differential. Meaning when your turning it does spin one wheel faster than the other. On a straight line it acts more like a locker. I did not experience much more pushing than I did with the super diff I was running.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:20 am 
WB Contributor

I seen the rooster tails from odys buggy...lol seems to me it works quite well

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ship one too me and i will test it i will give it as much hell as i can as long as its free of charge :P :P if it holds up for a summer down here with me hitting everything we got then its worth it

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 pm 
BOTM Winner

Believe me it will hold up. If it can past the test in a 2500# turbo buggy with 33" cut Boggers with me behind the wheel at wellsville then it will work for anyone. I can break anything lol. :roll: :mrgreen: All ya gotta do is ask the guys that ride with me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm 
WB Contributor

i like this thing ody, and ive read the post on just how you can tear things up :wink: i pm'd you... it will most likely be april before im ready, but id like to try one!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:26 pm 
BOTM Winner

bmoore wrote:
i like this thing ody, and ive read the post on just how you can tear things up :wink: i pm'd you... it will most likely be april before im ready, but id like to try one!!!

Whenever your ready let me know. I dought you will be dissapointed. I know I am not. Becides if you don't like it I am sure you could sell it to a Vanagon owner and not be hurt much money wise.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions