It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm 

Just wondering if you could give me a rough estimate.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:13 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wow.... That is a really tough quesiton. There are so many things that will drastically change the price. It really comes down to how much do you want to spend. You can easily spend $500 - $3000+ depending on options..

Here are some questions to consider..
Are you planning to cut the swing axle torsion out and install a completely new IRS torsion or modify the Swing Axle?
Do you plan to run stock trailing arms or go with 3x3 or 3x2 arms?
Do you have a Transmission already? Car or Bus?
Depending on the answers above, you will need Axles, CV Joints, Stub Axles, Shocks and Mounts

There are a bunch of other stuff to consider but lets start with these questions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 pm 

MickeyMouse wrote:
Wow.... That is a really tough quesiton. There are so many things that will drastically change the price. It really comes down to how much do you want to spend. You can easily spend $500 - $3000+ depending on options..

Here are some questions to consider..
Are you planning to cut the swing axle torsion out and install a completely new IRS torsion or modify the Swing Axle?
Do you plan to run stock trailing arms or go with 3x3 or 3x2 arms?
Do you have a Transmission already? Car or Bus?
Depending on the answers above, you will need Axles, CV Joints, Stub Axles, Shocks and Mounts

There are a bunch of other stuff to consider but lets start with these questions.

I was going to cut the Swing Axel out
3x3 arms (most likely)
I would need to buy a transmission. Would probably go with a 6rib and add a super diff later.

Do you think it would be worth it to change?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:19 pm 

100% worth it.Your going to gain a huge amount of strength and like MM said,many more options for suspension.Your best bet would be to go with 2x3's or 3x3's and at least bus joints.As for cost :?:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:24 pm 
WB Videographer

i wouldnt cut the torsion out jus use the one thats in there and use the weld on pivots and cut ur spring plate to fit the ur trailing arms,save u some time and money

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

As for costs..

Trailing Arms, Axles, CVs, $1000
6 rib Tans with Dif $700
Brakes and Shocks $600

These are very rough costs. Better parts will cost more or you can find used for less. At the end of the day, you will spend around $2500 to upgrade to something strong and reliable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm 

Thanks for the rough estimate.

I'm possibly headed up to Michigan later this week to look at a Buggy for sale. The ONLY thing I'm not crazy about on it is that it's a swingarm. But I can run the swingarm for a year or so. I'm not going to be doing any major hill climbs or anything anyways. But when I upgrade I want to upgrade to something durable enough for an Ecotec, which is my ultimate goal.

But this will be a nice starter buggy. And it's pretty nice and clean for the cost. I'lll be sure to post pictures etc. up if I buy it.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions