It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am 
BOTM Winner

Thats it, I'm takin all the brakes off my woods buggy! :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 am 

Odyknuck wrote:
Thats the whole point of having the front brakes separate from the rear with its own master cylinder and handle. With the ever changing terrain in Woods this concept gives you full control of your braking system Including bias. Picture going down a muddy hill with tree branches and wet leaves on it. Do you want the front brakes applied at that point, not me cause I am headed for a tree and I need to steer. It takes very little braking under these conditions to lock up the front wheels and have no control of your steering.

Depends what tyres you're running on the front, our fedima's have quite a lot of grip whilst steering + braking in wet mud, v-treads/lug patterns tend to be a lot worse as if you try the same they just form a lubricating wedge of mud in front of the cleats that they slide over, even the Goodyear/BFG muds aren't fantastic, they don't clear the shit out of the tread very well unless they're spinning. Downhill means you can get away with more front brake than normal as there's more weight on the front tyres, you can vary your outright brake bias with the engine braking and the rear cutters.
I'm all for having more control over the car but when you already have that control by varying the rear cutters (provided you're on dual handles), just seem's like another lever to get in the way!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 am 
BOTM Winner

I run Yokahama offroad tires (snow tire tread) in the front and cut Boggers in the rear. The tires still just slide during braking on a muddy downhill. I have done the brakes both ways and prefer the seperate front brakes. I try one porportioning valve and even had two porportioning valve in series on the front brakes and still did not like they way they make my car feel.

I suppose we could debate this for a week or two and entertain the folks here on Woodsbuggy however again it all comes down to personal preference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 am 

Odyknuck wrote:
I run Yokahama offroad tires (snow tire tread) in the front and cut Boggers in the rear. The tires still just slide during braking on a muddy downhill. I have done the brakes both ways and prefer the seperate front brakes. I try one porportioning valve and even had two porportioning valve in series on the front brakes and still did not like they way they make my car feel.

I suppose we could debate this for a week or two and entertain the folks here on Woodsbuggy however again it all comes down to personal preference.

I don't like porportioning valves for that entire reason, they're good on the rear of a road car to prevent the back locking under brake transfer as they are digressive, not linear, in nature, but they're terrible for the front of a buggy as you want the brakes to be progressive, so the bias tends towards the front as the weight transfers overs the harder you stop, you can do that on a balance bar, but not with the proportioning valve in the front line.
I know it sounds weird, but you'd actually have to put it in the rear line to get the progression you're after, otherwise the fronts just lock up before you've built up the pressure and got the weight over the nose, kinda like just stamping on the pedal instead of a firm, progressive push.
It sounds backwards but that'd be the way to get the working as you were hoping.
Aren't brakes fun?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am 
BOTM Winner

Yes it does sound wierd. How does installing a valve in the rear make the fronts less active?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:07 am 

Odyknuck wrote:
Yes it does sound wierd. How does installing a valve in the rear make the fronts less active?

Because it allows you to setup a car that is biased to the rear for the really muddy stuff, but then slowly pushes bias to the front as you brake harder and harder when you find more grip.
The way the proportioning valve works is quite similar to the blowoff in a digressive damper setup, or even a high-flow Fox/King with a standard stack, there's a point where the force vs pedal pressure curve knees over and becomes less steep, which then steadily shuffles brake balance to the other end of the car the heavier you brake, however, the initial curve is still as steep as normal until the valve cracks, so by putting the valve in the rear of the car you can then set the rest of the brakes up so the rears still lock before the fronts on the slippiest stuff you can find, but because the valve will crack open and slowly reduce rear line pressure vs pedal pressure, it shuffles the brakes to the front when you find either more grip, or when you have more weight over the front.
That helps massively with not locking the tyres up as it allows the fronts to have lower initial braking force whilst the weight transfers onto them, then ramps up the pressure to match.

With the valve in the front, it'll tend to snatch at the fronts as you first touch the brakes and make them lock, then reduces the pressure after that, which doesn't help when they're already locked, just makes them hard to modulate :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am 
BOTM Winner

:shock:you guys still at it?? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 am 

RaceBugg1098 wrote:

Hoy, get outa the way 'o the yellin' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Global moderator

I love the added input,,you can teach this old dog new tricks,,,,sorta :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am 

Firebug wrote:

Alright, but I ain't tickling your belly when you roll over onto your back. :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am 
BOTM Winner

Well Yea..............Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:

RaceBugg1098 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 pm 
BOTM Winner

PhillipM wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

Because it allows you to setup a car that is biased to the rear for the really muddy stuff, but then slowly pushes bias to the front as you brake harder and harder when you find more grip.
-------------------
Ok, but I will be hard on them as soon as I drop off the crest of a steep hill so my front brakes will lock up in short order.
===============
The way the proportioning valve works is quite similar to the blowoff in a digressive damper setup, or even a high-flow Fox/King with a standard stack, there's a point where the force vs pedal pressure curve knees over and becomes less steep, which then steadily shuffles brake balance to the other end of the car the heavier you brake, however, the initial curve is still as steep as normal until the valve cracks, so by putting the valve in the rear of the car you can then set the rest of the brakes up so the rears still lock before the fronts on the slippiest stuff you can find, but because the valve will crack open and slowly reduce rear line pressure vs pedal pressure, it shuffles the brakes to the front when you find either more grip, or when you have more weight over the front.
--------------------
Good info however my above statement still applys
=============

That helps massively with not locking the tyres up as it allows the fronts to have lower initial braking force whilst the weight transfers onto them, then ramps up the pressure to match.
With the valve in the front, it'll tend to snatch at the fronts as you first touch the brakes and make them lock, then reduces the pressure after that, which doesn't help when they're already locked, just makes them hard to modulate :D

--------------------
Based on my experience with front porportioning valve control you are exactly right. My fronts lock up as soon as I use my brakes aggressivley. Hense the reason I have seperated them. I will say had I known what you are telling me before I did it I would have definatly tryed doing the PV on the rear. It would have only taken a few plumbing changes. Oh well too late.
=====================

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:04 pm 

Something to try in the winter :D

Whilst fixing everything else that's broke if it's anything like our car...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 pm 
BOTM Winner

i just run a ball valve to my front brakes on the woods buggy to turn'em off if needed. as for racing, the only time i can ever lock up the front is if its real muddy in which case i dont use the foot brake, just the double handle steering brake :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

Ya never know. Odds are it will stay the way it is. The seperate brakes work well for me. BTW thanks for your expertise, keep it coming. Nice to have a brake expert on board.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm 
BOTM Winner

Odyknuck wrote:
Ya never know. Odds are it will stay the way it is. The seperate brakes work well for me. BTW thanks for your expertise, keep it coming. Nice to have a brake expert on board.

thank you Ody! :mrgreen: just kidding

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

wonder how would the brake pedal setup with the dual master cyl. for late model dirt cars work?.

they have a adjustable bar with a cable and hand crank that runs across both master cyl. and it only takes a few cranks of the handle to go from more front braking to more rear braking.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm 
BOTM Winner

Your a real Funny Guy there Buddy! Get back to your Subie Project already. :mrgreen:

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

thank you Ody! :mrgreen: just kidding

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm 

Is that my rite of passage over, or do I have to learn the secret handshake? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

You can plug that hole in your row boat, your in! :mrgreen:

PhillipM wrote:
Is that my rite of passage over, or do I have to learn the secret handshake? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm 
Global moderator

PhillipM wrote:
Firebug wrote:

Alright, but I ain't tickling your belly when you roll over onto your back. :P

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 pm 

kybuggy1 wrote:
Ahaa!! :lol: :P :lol: Now I see why we have the differences in theories. Phil, the roads to GET to some of our riding parks are nearly 45 degrees! :roll: Blacktop paved roads that they drive school buses on.
We are talking about HILLS here, mountains, not rolling planes with trees on them. I mean hills you can stand next to and put your elbow out and touch the side of the hill without leaning :wink: .

8)

when we made our trip to d&k with a gang of rhinos razors and tryex's the nice gentleman that we signed in with told us "Do not try the first 3 hills... you will not make them.." and we didnt go there to be wimps lol... we ended up rolling several ones that day and had a blast... we tried the last hill i think and it was crazy it was uplike 50 feet at times then flat then up we went when it was froze and it definatly made you pucker up if you stop moving forward..8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Just use a master cylinder like the one your using for the rear brakes. Here is a link to how i recently did mine:
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =23&t=8892

hayshaker247 wrote:
well im glad i got both sides of the picture but i think i will go with what everyone says is best for woods.. i thinking single master pedals for rears and dual handle cutters... what is everyone doing for the front brakes? i have a good place to mount to to put it on the left with a single lever just dont know what to use for a slave and such... im in a bind on whether to get my brakes done and put a rack in it or get a tranny...

it looks as if you have to pull that to you.. or am i wrong? i have a hand break like that in my jeep and i made it to where i push it.. pulling it was too hard it still suck going down long hills but was nearly impossible when i had to pull it back

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:06 pm 
Global moderator

If you want to have all four brakes on the pedal, or separate the fronts to a handle you can do this:

the top ball valve is just a line lock for the rears, the middle ball valve seperates the fronts from the pedal when close,,or adds fronts to pedal when open . The bottom ball valve works fronts with handle when open and separates the handle from the pedal when closed. In other words as you see it the fronts are separated to a handle,,if you reverse the position of the middle and bottom ball valves then they are all on the pedal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 pm 

PhillipM wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

After reading that I have a question for you phillipm. I am setting up my new rail with 4 wheel brakes, dual cutter brakes and a dual master cylinder with a bias adjuster bar. So would you recommend that I run a proportioning valve on the rear of my setup?

My build, http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =23&t=9147

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering