It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a power bleeder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:30 pm 

I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect the hose to my cap it has a vent on top and i dont know if it has to be vented of not because if i use a valve stem i dont see how it can still vent also dont know what brand my pedals and master cylinder are here are some pics of my cap thanks for any help :D
the insides are all hard plastic with a flat rubber washer to seal underneath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

It must be a sealed cap in order for the power bleeder to function correctly. If you leave the vent hole the pressurs from the power bleeder will force a lot of fluid out of the vent hole and leave you with a nice mess to clean up lol. Get a different cap and drill out the vent hole larage enough to add you schrader valve.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:38 pm 

does it have to be vented for it to work after bleeding i mean can i just do away with the vent all together?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

It needs to be vented to work properly. But when using the power bleeder it must be sealed. That is why he said to get a second cap for the bleeder. Put a valve of whatever type you are using on the second cap. Bleed it then switch back to the original cap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

In theory it should be vented, but mine is not. I put an -AN fitting right in the middle of the cap for bleeding, and cap it off when not bleeding. Havents seen any problems as a result yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am 
BOTM Winner

I am really surprised you have not had Issues without a vent. Every time you push and release your brake pedal the fluid volume changes in the resivoir. With out a vent the fluid transfer is slowed downed creating a vaccumme when pushed and a pressure vessel when released. and braking is effected especially when you get on them hard. The rubber in the cap is a diaframe that keeps the fluid from coming out of the vent and only allows air to come and go.

kybuggy1 wrote:
In theory it should be vented, but mine is not. I put an -AN fitting right in the middle of the cap for bleeding, and cap it off when not bleeding. Havents seen any problems as a result yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree, and thought the same when I did it and was gonna get a spare cap, but my foot brake and cutters are both really good (IMO) with little movement required to use either. Maybe getting that spare vented cap would make them even better :wink: .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 am 
BOTM Winner

Well if it ain't broke don't fix it! :wink: :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering