PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Pumup up plastic Garden/Bug sprayer
3 qts of fluid or so
small dia clear hose that fits over your bleeders fairly tight
some way to couple the bleeder hose to your brake res. lid
big o ring that fits inside brake res lid
c clamp,big pliers, strong hands, wtver

There are several dif ways you can connect the bleeder to your lid. Cheapest I know of is to get a brass barbed fitting that will go up in the bleeder hose snugly (after you cut the end of the sprayer hose off). a small enuff barb fitting will be 1/4 or 1/8 NPT threads. Just drill n tap the lid for the fitting, pull the rubber expandable thing (diaphragm) out of the lid before drilling. Buy a brass plug with the same threads for when you arent bleeding. OR use a -4AN line fitting on the hose and a female -4 AN bulkhead fitting on the lid, and an AN cap. I like the AN fittings better, cuz you can just drill thru the rubber diaphragm inside the lid and capture it between the bulkhead fitting and the lid and you wont have to pull the diaphragm out every time you wanna bleed the system. Update: I have since learned the little airhole in the top of most res caps can be important to leave open, especially after your pads wear a little. So if you drill and tap your cap for a bleeder connection and effectively eliminate this air hole when your bleeder connection is closed, you may wanna get a spare cap to run and only use the tapped one for bleeding.

Heres what to do with all that junk: First (AND THIS IS ESSENTIAL!!) turn your calipers to where the bleeders are at the top highest point in your system. Open the bleeders. Use the c clamp to push back your caliper pistons. Remove the clamp and wedge something betwen the pads to hold the piston back. Some brakes you can just leave the c clamp in as the device to hold the pistons back, but if you got four piston calipers its tuff to do that.

If usin a barb or similiar, pull out the diapragm and put the o ring in the lid so the lid seals on the res. Close all your bleeders. Connect the sprayer hose to the fitting on your res lid. Pump up the garden sprayer pretty good and lock the handle down. Put the clear hoses on each caliper bleeder and run them into the empty qt jugs you filled the garden sprayer with. If the system is ALL new, open both bleeders and let a couple qts run thru. Close the bleeders before sprayer runs out of fluid or before qt jugs overflow. After that step, or if bleeding existing brakes, pour the fluid back in the sprayer and pump up the sprayer again. Always remember to close any bleeders BEFORE you let pressure off sprayer. If you cutter has a bleeder on it, you can bleed it right there for a minute, but I aint never noticed it helpin or hurtin when using a power bleeder. Then go to ONE side of your system and open the bleeder. Depress your foot pedal fully a few times while the fluid is running. Do the same with your cuttter on that side. Let the fluid run about a qt thru and tap on your brake components with a small hammer or a wrench or something to loosen any air bubbles that might be caught up somewhere. Work your pedal/handle a few more times. After you almost fill the catch qt jug, close that side down, repump sprayer up if needed, and repeat for other side of system.
Now put calipers back onto rotors and repeat bleeding steps. You might be able to do both sides at same time once you drop the calipers back down, but I like to do this step one side at a time also. Go drive it using the brakes alot and jarring the buggy up real good. Brakes should still be great and would be for most folks , but you can get them just a hair better by rotating the calipers, wedgin something inbetween the pads, and bleedin it all again. After a good ride you can do this , too. Probably not necessary, but I'm anal about my cutters workin as good as I can get them.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here is another option for the conection. Use a steel Valve stem. Then put an air chuck on your sprayer. I didn't have my extra cap yet when I made this, but I do now. Easier with a spare cap, just take off the normal one, and screw down the one with the valve stem. I have pics of the bleeder if anyone needs them. See, Marty I can stay on topic :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 pm 
WB Videographer

This should be a stickie, before it gets hi-jacked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm 
WB Contributor

by kybuggy1 ยป Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 am

thanks for the help larry!!! garden sprayer works awesome! i have a great pedal and one good side on the cutters,i will bleed the other side off cutters again tomorrow and that should have it! wife says thanks to cause with the sprayer she didnt have to be in the shop all day lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

:wink: Glad it worked for ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:32 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Maddog wrote:
This should be a stickie, before it gets hi-jacked.

I tried to make it one, but for some reason I dont get the same mod tools for this section as I do in upcoming events, and neither does Marty :?:
Maybe DVS1 will fixit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 am 

Thanks to all who posted and the PM I got. "Pressure bleed" does n't take much to guess what it does. What you make it out of and how you use it, had me scratch'n my head though. Thank's Dave W.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm 

they also have brake bleeders im guessing oem bleeders at advanced auto it pulls the fluid instead of pushing but still works good its like 55 brand new

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I tried onof those before Tim taught me about the garden sprayer, but I never couold get it to work real well. Maybe it was me, I dunno. But the garden sprayer can be built for $30 or less and its the shiz!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 am 

Build and sell them...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:47 pm 

That is the one thing every buggyrider should have in there shop,coolist thing i ever built.......saved me tons of time and it's the only time i've got all the air out..... they work great now..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

can someone post a pic of theirs they have made im going to try and make me one

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here are some pics of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 am 

I use the garden sprayer bleeder all the time it is quick and easy.It has been years since I have used my Snap On pressure bleeder. I also modified another one to fill late model VW automatic transaxles $20 vs $300 for the factory tool.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering