It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm 

we are putting together a buggy with a lot of parts from out old swingaxle buggy.
we had a rear disc brake kit on it. and we were looking at getting the brakes together last night, and the bracket that holds the caliper on will not work with this set of trailing arms. are there other brackets available or are we gonna have to get a kit that we know will work with our trailing arms or what.
cant spend a ton of money on custom brake stuff. and not all that great at fabbing up stuff either. so i'd just like some options on what to do.
the trailing arms we have are very similar to the 2nd set shown here.
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/bug ... ararms.htm
Its a beeline frame i think, and i think the guy that makes the frames mad the arms too. but i dont know about that for sure.
anyways, any suggestions and or pictures would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:48 pm 
Master fabricator

As far as I know there are no pre made brackets that will work on that set up. You will need to, or have someone fab up a set of brackets.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 pm 

i guess on the brackets u just have to make sure that the bracket will locate the caliper the same distance away from the rotor. the same height as if we were using the bracket.. and be 100% parallel with the rotor correct?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:53 pm 
Master fabricator

100% correct. If your careful and quick you can use the caliper to hold the bracket when you tack them onto the arm. :idea:

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

When I did my brackets I took the caliper and hooked 10psi of air to it. Next center the caliper so the rotor is in the middle and the pads are flush with the edge of the rotor. Tack the bracket in. Next turn the air off and rotate the rotor to make sure it’s where you want it. Turn the air back on and turn the pressure up to 50psi and weld as much as you can without removing the caliper. Remove the caliper and finish the welding.

Oh yea don’t use warped rotors like I did because you will have to redo it unless your lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I’m not sure but I think there is something different with the swing axle rotors and the IRS rotors. I forget what it is but something to do with the bearing spacer on the stub axle. Someone help me out I forget.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 am 

hillaholic wrote:
I’m not sure but I think there is something different with the swing axle rotors and the IRS rotors. I forget what it is but something to do with the bearing spacer on the stub axle. Someone help me out I forget.

Well the new buggy has rotors on it. so i dont think we are gonna change them, we were just looking at using the old calipers and brackets and hardware.
i dont know. this is our first build. the other buggy we had was just an old junker that was already together, we beat it into the ground a few years ago. and are trying to get going on a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 pm 

Well i managed to get both brackets cut, drilled, tapped, and mounted today, on real hitch i ran into was i wanted the calipers on the top side of the rotor, but after tacking it in place and looking, i realized that the size and shape of the trailing arm wasnt going to allow me to take the caliper bolts out. so i knocked it loose and decided to mount the caliper on the back side of the rotor. not as well protected. but it will have to work.
I took some pics but they turned out blurry cause my camera kept focusing on what was in the background and not was i was trying to take the picture of. POS canon....lol.
all in all i was happy with what i got done today and the quality. the welds turned out better than i thought considering i have very little experience welding, and this is the first thing i've welded since my welder was stolen over 2 years ago, so i'm using a small knock off welder...but its getting the job done.. just wish it had a bottle so i could mig. instead of fluxcore.
anyways, i'll try to get some better pics tomarrow and post them
and I have a tip. if you want to do your calipers this way.... do what hillaholic said and throw some air pressure to the calipers to hold them on the rotor, this was easy achieved for me today by using my compression tester.
when i bought it i bought the kit that had the smaller sized fittings with it for use on lawnmowers,weedeaters, chainsaws and stuff like that. well the smalles adapater that came with it just happened to be the same as the brake line hole in the caliper. so i took the valve core out of the hose for the compression testor and was able to use my air hose to pressurize the caliper to hold it. It worked great.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering