It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 am 

question 1 - need to order a master cylinder for my buggy. I'm using type 3 rear brakes (23mm wheel cylinder from what I understand)

will the 22mm type 2 single circuit cylinder give me enough mechanical advantage? I've driven a buggy with stock swing axle drums and a 22mm cylinder and it was scary.

question 2 - how about using front wheel cylinders? I've got the front brakes off a '72 super beetle and the cylinders look huge... not sure what size they are.

question 3 - four wheel brakes... how many people actually run 4 wheel brakes on a buggy for in the woods? I was thinking of using the rear wheel cylinders in the front, and then adding an adjustable proportioning valve, thinking if I had 17mm in the front, 23mm in the back (25%) , and add in a adjustment of 50% with the valve and I should be able to get it as low as 75% rear, 25% front.. seems like that should work pretty well.

If that should work ok, can you use one of those proportioning valves with a dual circuit master cylinder? If so, do you switch the circuits from front to rear?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
Global moderator

I can't answer your questions but I can advise to go with disc when you can and leave the front brakes to a seperate handle.,,,sorry if this bursted your bubble,,,but I found this out the hard way.,,good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 pm 

Firebug wrote:
I can't answer your questions but I can advise to go with disc when you can and leave the front brakes to a seperate handle.,,,sorry if this bursted your bubble,,,but I found this out the hard way.,,good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 pm 
Master fabricator

I agree with Firebug, rear disc brake packages are inexpencive. Check with our vendors, you might be suprised.

G
A

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering