It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Combo spindle brakes?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:55 am 

OK im new to this completely and I know i am going to need some brakes fro the front to be both street legal and to give me the control off the road on a hill or two...

I am running a 6" wider beam, 4" x 1.75" trailing arms, raised 3" combo spindles, 10" stroke fox 2.5 coil-over shocks

I am trying to figure out a setup that will give me the right stoping power
I have a 1835 dual dellortos 40's and i would like to be runnign a 32" or 33" all the way around...it will be a daily driver that will be able to handle the speed bumps here in this town to say the least!

any suggestions of what companys or combination set-ups will be greatly appreciated...

Fell free to call
(910)-520-2126

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

Keep in mind that most Combo spindels ues the Ball joint backing plate bolt pattern so base your decision on that.
I run Jamar and they stop you fine however they are noisey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm 

well thats fine about the backing plate but waht about the bearings>

and what type of brakes would you suggest>
to be honest i need to get it driving...i can upgrade it bc nost likely it will break along with some other things...

im looking for some used stuff to get started

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:45 pm 
BOTM Winner

As I recall on my Tweeds Combo spindels the outer bearing was a stock ID and the Inner bearing was a larger than stock ID. You would have to machine out the stock VW hub to fit the Inner bearing. I bought the bearings that fit the Jamar Billet Hubs and the spindels. As far as what brakes to use all depends on how much money you want to spend. I am using high dollar Jamar. You can buy much cheaper setups. If your looking for used stuff look thru our classifieds and also try "thesamba.com" They usally have some there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:01 pm 

yeah im on the samba about 20 times a day....i tend to get bored in class but yeah...im just looking for some decent used brakes that are meant "packaged" for the combos that way i do not have to machine out the plates or bearings...since im new to this...i know the money will be a little more but to be honest i dont mind spinding a little more for the better product. and brakes is one of those issues that you might not want to skimp by on...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:24 pm 
BOTM Winner

Run a set of Wilwoods, that's what I am using on my combo spindles and they stop way awesome on the street!
You can make your own brackets or buy them that they will fit the bolt pattern like Odyknuck says, here is the link of a set of calipers that I am running and they came with the Jamar Pro-X billet combo spindle hubs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Wilwood/744532/10002/-1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 pm 

I read about using conversion bearings to run a kink pin drum with a combo spindle. I'm not sure they are a sealed bearing but rather a non sealed taper bearing. I personally have not tried this but wish I would have. I assume this means you can run a king pin disc kit on the combo spindle and save a ton of money. Combo kits are $700. Here are the Timken numbers, I believe they are available from McMaster Carr or other dealers.

Inner bearing 15123
Inner race 15244
Outer bearing 07100
Outer race 07204
Combo outer seal 471831

It all has to do with the same outer diameters but with different inner diameters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm 

yeah thanks for the bearing numbers and info...i would like to stay away from drum brakes if i can... and lets be honest with the weight of the car you dont need much to stop her...i can always up grade but being in college and this is my first build im trying to do things right but still make it affoardable so i can get on the road and trail asap...i know it tends to be one or the other not both...well thank you guys again!

tell me what you think....im in the process of saving and buying some parts over this semester till the summer till i have some free time to work on it becaus eof my college school work and work. any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Nice Buggy!! Start a new post in our build forum and I'm sure you will get alot of help to any of your questions. Post lots of pics and keep us updated.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering