It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disk brakes squeels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 pm 
BOTM Winner

The disk brakes on my Buggy squeel extremely loud. They are new Jamar drilled rotors. They are not stainless. The fronts have new Jamar 2 piston calipers and the rear are Wildwood 2 piston calipers. I kow you can file a taper on the pad edges, sand a rough surface on the rotors etc however those are only temperay fixs. What is the real fix for them. Oddly enough my last buggy had your everyday 911 cast rotors with the standard Varga claipers and I never heard a peep out of them go figure.

Post subject: Re: Disk brakes squeels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:32 pm 
WB Contributor

my buddy has jamar disc also and his squeal like a banshee. roy told him at wellsville that the fix was to take the pad off and clean the back off then put 2 pieces of duct tape on the back of the pad. he said it was the piston squealing against the brake pad.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:02 pm 
WB Contributor

I had that problem too. I bought ceramic pads with the shims on the back and it quit. the duct tape didnt last a weekend or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:24 am 

I had the Neal aluminum 2 piston calipers with drilled rotors and mine squealed. I eventually upgraded the calipers to Wilwood 4 piston calipers and no more squeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

Adding a shim to the rear of the pad will cure the problem. You can glue one on the the back of the pad. Duct tape works, just does not last as long.
I change my duct tape once a year and it keeps my squeals away. Use high quality stuff.

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 am 
BOTM Winner

I talked with Jamar on the issue and there solution is to put a spring on the bolt that keeps the pads in place. I ask why they dont use the shim like every other brake manufacture does. They said they had problems with them getting dirt between the pad and shim causing them to lock up. I respondedwith I have never had any problem with them on my Pilots or 4 wheelers. They have the shims. No responce. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Roy wrote:
Adding a shim to the rear of the pad will cure the problem. You can glue one on the the back of the pad. Duct tape works, just does not last as long.
I change my duct tape once a year and it keeps my squeals away. Use high quality stuff.

I bought a roll of the Gorilla brand duct tape. Pretty awesome stuff. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:06 am 
BOTM Winner

Well I bought the springs from Jamar and low and behold..........................they did not do a damm thing for the Squeal! Imagine that. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:10 am 
WB Contributor

haha my buddy has just been buying the squeel stop in a can from autozone. it usually last a whole day after you spray em. sucks but hes quiet in the woods now haha.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 am 

Get a louder exhaust. Problem solved. .
Make shure the pins/ bolts that you caliper slides on are tight and lubed. If they are sloppy the caliper will vibrate and the pads will squeal. Do they squeal all the time or just when you press the brakes? Also the pads may not be parallel to the rotor. You may have to shim your caliper mount. The shim on the back of the pad will also compensate for the minor misalignment of the pads to the rotor. If you can get in there. Check the clearance of the pad to the rotor on each side of the pad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:49 am 

Steve go to speedway motors.com and buy the softest pads(yours are prob 2"sq) ,,buy a couple sets there cheep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 am 
BOTM Winner

wreckincars wrote:
Get a louder exhaust. Problem solved. .
Make shure the pins/ bolts that you caliper slides on are tight and lubed. If they are sloppy the caliper will vibrate and the pads will squeal. Do they squeal all the time or just when you press the brakes? Also the pads may not be parallel to the rotor. You may have to shim your caliper mount. The shim on the back of the pad will also compensate for the minor misalignment of the pads to the rotor. If you can get in there. Check the clearance of the pad to the rotor on each side of the pad.

The calipers are 2 piston solid mount Jamars, they dont slide. Pads are parallelto the rotors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:43 am 
BOTM Winner

mudd mutt wrote:
Steve go to speedway motors.com and buy the softest pads(yours are prob 2"sq) ,,buy a couple sets there cheep

Thanks Greg, I will look into that. THe pads that came with the Calipers appear to be full mettalic witche is not helping. I have tryed the duct tape and it does not help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am 
WB Contributor

My buddy has finally reduced down to the 2.00 of STOP SQUEAK from autozone. By damn you only spray em in the morning and they won't squeak all day.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 am 
BOTM Winner

Kyle wrote:
My buddy has finally reduced down to the 2.00 of STOP SQUEAK from autozone. By damn you only spray em in the morning and they won't squeak all day.

Does it effect brake performance?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:14 pm 
WB Contributor

nope brakes work great....and no more squeal. i know its not really a fix, but i almost refuse to ride with him when his brakes are like that haha ALLLL DAY LONG..

"Lets go get stupid"

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering