It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bleeding Brakes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:38 pm 
Hill Climber

I used Larry's sugestion for brake bleeding. I bought a cheap garden sprayer and plumbed it into my master cyl. I already had a lid with pipe threads in it so thats what I used. I bought the fittings a the hardware for about $2, only $14 for the sprayer. Pumped it up and opened the bleeders and worked the brakes. I finally know what it is like to have good brakes on the buggy. Thanks Larry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:27 pm 

if you are not working friday feel free to come by and do mine and cyles.

Post subject: Re: Bleeding Brakes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote="D. Marks"]I used Larry's sugestion for brake bleeding. I bought a cheap garden sprayer and plumbed it into my master cyl. I already had a lid with pipe threads in it so thats what I used. I bought the fittings a the hardware for about $2, only $14 for the sprayer. Pumped it up and opened the bleeders and worked the brakes. I finally know what it is like to have good brakes on the buggy. Thanks Larry.

Cool!! Glad all that typing I did posting about the bug sprayer bleeder paid off! Now that you've taken the time to put it together, you'll save HOURS bleeding brakes from now on!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:56 pm 
BOTM Winner

Hey that's pretty cool stuff.

Post subject: Re: Bleeding Brakes
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 pm 

Cool!! Glad all that typing I did posting about the bug sprayer bleeder paid off! Now that you've taken the time to put it together, you'll save HOURS bleeding brakes from now on!

Larry
[/quote]

Wheres you right up about doing this????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:09 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here ya go:
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/Forum/viewtop ... ight=#1503

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:36 am 

made one, used it, brakes rock solid. thanks larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:54 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Cool!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:14 am 

I will have to try that !!! I'm still running drums all the way around but I never can seem to get the cutting brakes to bleed out good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:28 am 
BOTM Winner

Hey Dean,

Would you bring your brake bleeding rig with you to D&K? I would like to purge all of my old fluid out of my system. I will bring the fluid.

Thanks,

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:44 am 
Hill Climber

I sure will. Anyone who wants to use it is welcome. If you have the rectangular CNC res. it will bolt right on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='D. Marks']I sure will. Anyone who wants to use it is welcome. If you have the rectangular CNC res. it will bolt right on.[/quote]

That's what I have. I saw the pictures of yours and I knew it would work on mine.

Cool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:10 pm 
WB Contributor

dangit, I always have the wrong thing, was hoping to get mine done and hope it would make my cutting brakes better. OH well, thats my luck.

The Wild kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='The Wild Kids']dangit, I always have the wrong thing, was hoping to get mine done and hope it would make my cutting brakes better. OH well, thats my luck.

The Wild kids[/quote]

What kind you got? I have the round CNC srew on res. cap. Was planning on bringing my bleeder , too. You're welcome to use it if it fits.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:48 am 

Hey larry, just built one of your high dollar brake bleeders,works great pushing fluid,my problem is Iam running 4 piston volvo calipers that have 3 bleeder screws,one on each side between the pistons and one on top I have run several gallons of fluid through both sides,but Iam still getting some air coming out, does this process usally take this long or could it be because the calipers are 4 piston and large :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:09 am 
BOTM Winner

I have found with mutipal puck/bleeder calipers its best to turn the caliper upside down to remove all the air thru the lower bleeders. Place a 3/8" thick piece of steel between the pads to keep them from closing up and possiably popping the pucks out of the caliper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

sharpshooter, it sounds like you are trapping air or sucking in air somewhere. I have four piston calipers with four bleeders on them also, and have pretty good luck with them. Did you rotate your calipers to where one of the bleeders are directly above the brake line, and try to make the bleeder the highest point of the caliper? You also have to put something between the pads that is slightly wider than your rotor so you dont push your pistons out. Getting the bleeders on top is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I tried not doing that once, thinking the bleeder would push the air out anyways. I was wrong! ( You probably already know all this, just trying to help retrace your steps).

Are you doing both sides at the same time? If not , the air can just transfer back and forth.

Do you have a really good airtite fit at the fitting you installed on the end of the sprayer hose? I had a line leaking, so after I fixed it, I re-bled last weekend, and my sprayer hose had developed a leak at the fitting and was sucking in air. Fixed it and bleeder worked like a charm. Do you have a good seal where the master cyl. lid goes onto the master cyl.?

Did you work the foot pedal and cutting brakes while the bleeder was doing its thing?

Are the calipers in good shape? No cracks or any places for them to suck air?

Check those things and let me know. Get back to you this evening if I'm not too late trying to get ready. Leaving for D&K first thing in the morning and gotta load and pack tonite!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:15 pm 

Thanks Larry, my calipers are mounted with a bleeder screw on top, but I was bleeding only one side at a time,I will check my lines for any leaks.My pedal requires one pump before they get hard, then after you pause a minute it will take one pump again to get a good pedal.It dont matter if I have 1 pump brakes Iam still coming to D&K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:56 am 
BOTM Winner

I know you have probably done this however Im gonna thrw it out there. Have you bench blead your master cylinder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

No need to bench bleed when you use a power bleeder.

Sharpshooter, if Tim wasnt able to get your brakes bled out, I feel like somethings gotta be sucking in air somewhere or your calipers are bad. With that dust bowl we rode in this weekend, maybe you could closely check every union in your brake system, any signs of dampness would reveal even the smallest leak. I'm sure you already washed that buggy, though. I know I wouldnt leave an awesome lookin' buggy like yours dirty when I got home!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:57 pm 

Your right Larry, I started washing it as soon as I hit the yard,so looking at my fittings are out of the question,but I almost fainted when I took my filters off, the inside of my carbs were awful.I greased the top and bottom of my filters along with oiling them and running outer wears, but that was not enough this weekend.Ive decided to change calipers like yours I believe that will fix my problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Maybe try some cans over your filters. I used to run outerwears, then I tried foam prefilters, still got clogged jets every beer stop. And I have the jet doctor kits, too. Then I went to some cans with just the K&N style gauze filters oiled up, no prefilter. Got only one jet clogged the whole weekend in that dust bowl! And never had one clog up besides this weekend after I went to some cans.

I think you'll like those calipers. I've never used anything that comes close. They grab so good, you have to use the clutch as soon as you think about hitting the foot brake or you'll kill it. Use to, I could just ride the footbrake a little and leave the clutch engaged, not with those Wilwoods! Now I usually just ease on my front hand brake when going down hill, if I dont feel like clutching or knocking it out of gear.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:34 pm 

I'm with Larry, I have Wilwoods too and love them. As far as the dirty filters, I run CB sand boxes and still had to clean my filter's on Sat. after riding Thurs and Friday all day. What a dust bowl!!

-Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:42 am 

check this
http://www.appletreeauto.com/detail.aspx?ID=14734

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:57 am 
Wes do not buy that you can buy 2 lids from cnc for 19.95 then just drill one and make a bleader lid.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering