It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 am 

He guys and gals, I am just getting back into buggies and I just picked up a 4 seater a few weeks ago, since I have get it home I needed to make some changes to it to fit me, and one of the changes is I need to swap out the stock pedals, for hydraulic set up, Know since I have done this the pedal is rock hard and I have hardly any breaking Iam mean I can stand on them and hardly get the buggy to stop. My set up is Latest rage pedals, Or EMPI's not sure which ones they sold me, Disc in the front and drum in the rear. At first I just hook up the rear brakes samething then I just hooked up the front still the same issue
I have done some ready on here but iam still not sure why I have suck a hard pedal, HELP Thanks Chad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am 
Master fabricator

Where you from? Please update your location.
Off road only, street only, or both, what are you doing with it?
The FIRST thing you want to do is get rid of the drum brakes in the rear, they will suck no matter what you do.
How do you have them run? Both front and rear from the same pedal, no proportioning valve what about cutting brakes?
Do you know what size the the master cylinder is, 5/8", 3/4", 7/8"??

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:18 pm 

Updated.
I use this buggy for Both, And yes I plan on upgrading the rear to disc brakes, I was hoping to be able to run it this way till I get all the parts, as far as the size iam not a 100% but I think they are 5/8 on the brake and 3/4 on the clutch, Right now I just have the front hooked up, at first I had just the rear, I Need a block so I can run all the brakes but I was not sure if the Master Cylinder was big enough to run all four, I have never owned a buggy with 4wheel brakes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:46 pm 
Master fabricator

5/8" master cylinder is no where near enough to push 4 brakes, drum or disc. You will need a proportioning valve going to the front brakes to cut back pressure. Most of us with front brakes, this is the way I recommend, use a separate master cylinder, with a staging handle not sure what oHIo requires to run on the road.
I think that EveryMistakePassesInspection and Latest Junk stamp the bore size somewhere on them.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 pm 

Ok so its not big enough to run all four, But that does no explain why I have such a hard pedal with hardly no braking, I only have ether the front or the rear hooked up and its the same hard pedal and it wont stop for $hit, And I am guessing by your comment the Latest rage is junk?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm 

So I just looked at Summit and they sell a single pedal with a one inch bore Would something like this be good enough to run brakes and if so would it also work for a clutch pedal?

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/cm ... /overview/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:14 pm 
WB Contributor

while I agree with mike a 5/8 single master is no where near enough to run four brakes a larger bore is only going to make your pedal stiffer. id say you got a restriction somewhere if the lines are all good and not kinked id start with the hoses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would agree. A larger bore is just going to create more pressure and most likely not going to fix your problem. You mastercylinder needs to match your brakes.

If you were going to move to Disc brakes, I would look at adding the disc brakes before replacing the pedal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am 

X2 with mm

Dirtdobber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:46 pm 

All the lines are new, I am going to pick up a set of the sentra calipers and order a set of rotors and go from there, What size master cylinder do need to run 4 wheel disc brakes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Go 1 inch

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm 

If your ordering from summit get a wilwood can't go wrong with them, I put a empi pedal assembly and clutch slave shortly after I bought my buggy, it was the worst 200 bucks I ever spent slave cylinder lasted about a hour then blew out and the pedal's suck wore out quick, if I were to buy a new setup I recommend the individual pedals and masters from wilwood. Also I am now running a wilwood slave about 90$ and 3\4 inch wilwood master 50$ from summit racing and the setup works perfect.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 pm 
WB Contributor

Cush53 wrote:
If your ordering from summit get a wilwood can't go wrong with them, I put a empi pedal assembly and clutch slave shortly after I bought my buggy, it was the worst 200 bucks I ever spent slave cylinder lasted about a hour then blew out and the pedal's suck wore out quick, if I were to buy a new setup I recommend the individual pedals and masters from wilwood. Also I am now running a wilwood slave about 90$ and 3\4 inch wilwood master 50$ from summit racing and the setup works perfect.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

x2 love my wilwood setup dual masters for brakes with a bias bar pedal. all 3 masters 3/4".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am 

When I bought my first buggy it had a 5/8 mc for the brakes and they were nice cnc brakes. I had the same issue. You could get up out of the seat and stand on them and not lock the wheels. Changed to a 3/4 bore mc and it was a night and day difference. Current buggy has 1" bore but that is only because I am running 4 piston calipers now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:59 pm 

I am going to go with the summit pedal and wilwood 1inch master cylinder, I am also going to get a new clutch assembly, What size master cylinder should I get for the clutch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm 

Maybe I missed this, but are you going with a single master cylinder or double master for the brakes? I saw the one you posted from summit is a single. If you are going to run a single I personally would recommend going double and separate the front and rear. If by chance you rip a line off you will still have brakes on the other two tires and you can keep playing for the rest of the day. I just picked up a set of Jamars from Drew's and dropped about $440 at the buggy show for the double master, clutch and slave. For me it was worth the extra cash to not end a day of running by losing one line and I hate that feeling when you just learned you lost your brakes.
I didn't see them posted on Drew's web site but he does carry them. Here is a link to the pedal at Kartek
http://www.kartek.com/Product/91/Dual-M ... embly.aspx

Last edited by Twotrackerbryan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:32 pm 

What about this set up
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/ti ... /overview/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 pm 

fatboy wrote:

If I understand the add it says the following
Balance Bar Included:No
Master Cylinder Included:No

Master cylinder x 3 x $106 + $225 + balance bar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm 

Yeah its some bucks, Which I don't mind the cost I just want good shit, I hate not have good brakes and until here recently I did not know that it matter on the master cylinder size and what not, wish I would have known that before I wasted money on these crap pedals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:47 pm 

Jamar, cnc, or Tilton. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. And amen to good brakes!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:52 pm 

OK I think I have everything I need, take a look at my cart and let me know
http://www.summitracing.com/cart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm 

Damn that's high. My 4 seater has stock petals with old ford maser cylinder for 45 bucks with sentra calibers and I can spin on dime

Dirtdobber

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering