It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fabbing offroad spindles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 pm 

I am seriously considering fabbing up some a-arm spindles like I have seen on a few of the a-arm buggies. I have an odd question though, as I have link pin front end, why not use a stub axle for some other vehicle, like a trailer, and take advantage of cheaper hubs (and available locally), wheels, bearings etc. I dont want to piss off the purists, but from a economics standpoint switching it to something cheaper to fix just makes sense. any thoughts?

I'm looking at the 3500lb / pair spindles if I go trailer wise, I think its a good medium of heavy duty, wheel availability, and reasonable parts cost. considering I can pickup my buggys front end by myself I'm sure it can live up to the task.

I wanted to add, since I am currently running direct mount wheels, it plows when turning an handles like sh!t anyway. :) 90% of my riding will be off road, and yes I am confident in my welding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:04 am 

Well here comes dd.lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am 
WB Contributor

Cease! Spend your time and money with family. The bible says, do not invest in things that will rust or wither. I have spent 35 years migrating from buggy to buggy. All that money and time is gone. Today I have a yard full of buggies that constantly suck up my time and money. Buggies are like crack. Thru time, their addiction, changes your family, work relations, finance. I should have been a better person in the home and at work. The preacher said we go on doing our fun habits instead of loving God, so God lets all these habits bring us to his feet eventually. (If we are fortunate to live that long). I have put buggies over career advancements, choice of neighbor hood , home selection, number of off spring, their education, their mother, church. I can see God at the pearly gates now, saying Dave... You put buggies 1st and served friends 2nd. But what did you do for the people that loved you? Basicly , put the fun last .If everything is in order have 20 buggies! Oh, and use the spindles off a 90's Isuzu 2 wheel drive truck, front and make some wheels like the Passat pics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 pm 

ummm... what I got from that is, dont do it, god will punish me for wasting my time on it?

is there historical data on why its a bad idea? and ummm, I would rather go with s-10 spindles than izzies. not that izzies are bad really, just general parts availability and again cost. I saw your buggy with the swampers, far out machine, I think I saw a vid of your sons buggy in my searching, also cool. I have alot of respect for the way you've modded your machine.. but to be honest your response is both comical and confusing.

I have a very damaged spindle on one side and a bent wheel on the other, and it is still drivable but its not going to be put back to the way it is if I am spending the money, they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... so working on a new plan that isn't a repeat of the clearly lacking plan A.

on a personal note, if you have regrets on how you spent your life apologize to the people you hurt and make it right... I am looking for an outcome that requires less repair, both time and money wise, more fun, and the VW parts are clearly not the answer. thanks for commenting though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 pm 
WB Contributor

I always do what i want..and my excuse is " the DEVIL made me do it":evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm 

DD aka passat is a bit of a nut and funny as hell but a great guy if you ever meet him the buggy he rides now was completely built out of a junkyard and he know his crap when it comes to buggys and has tried just about everything that will work or not. Both he's and his sons buggy has A- arms on front that he built and they work great but he is crazy and thinks we all should be like him plus it depends on how many beers he has drank before he posted too So good luck with your build

Last edited by jeff69 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:17 pm 

its cool but you never know intent on text when you first speak to people, sorry if I came off bad about it, just wasn't sure how tongue in cheek he was being. :D

Definitely interested in any thoughts, I kinda feel it can't be any worse than the wobbly mess I have now, will take me a few weeks to put away funds for the bigger expenses involved, I'm seeing this as a "build it while I drive it" kinda project, make it and then when its done or I break something i can swap it in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:37 pm 

No problem I think a lot of people on here thinks he is crazy as hell which I guess he is but a great guy will do anything to help you he would give you the shirt off his back just don't ask for his last beer but anyways most of his parts come from pull a part junkyard and he is pretty smart on building stuff he has bid some of the craziest buggys I have ever seen but they work pretty damn good

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:28 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks Jeff. I am putting a lot of my time writing this so youngons can see the good and the bad of my day. I'll let them heed or trash my thoughts. There is a wall in Greece that reads, These children today will not listen, they think blah blah blah...you can not reach them. At the bottom it reads Socretees.(2000 years ago). I am just here to help the new generation take some of my information, but take their own an make some dangerous economical machines. I used to absolutely hate old men until I slooooowy realized they were right. I told my son that I climbed and fell out of a memosa tree in 1965. The sky and the yard looked EXACTLY as it does today. SO there is no difference in the world then and now. It is kinda fun being well hated, but I am trying to reach the ones in the back. The math in today's a/c and w/c buggies is stale and we are old. Take the torch and run forward.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:06 am 

I like that your trying to help people get to the holy grail, I have alot of respect for your machine, and your experience, the fact you talk like a crazy person sometimes does slightly detract from your perceived reliability though :lol: :mrgreen: I see ALOT of machines designed for race and play running the high miss-alignment heim joint steer a-arms, I was trying to build on something "proven" by making it from main stream available parts.

why izzie parts, what made you go that way? available to you at the time? I live pretty rural, I can't see finding spares if I need them any sooner than I'll find link pin spindles, especially since the only trucks I've seen less than a izzie pup is a vw truck. thats not an insult its just a statement of fact, I can see going ford, dodge, chevy, as they are driven by a huge percentage of the population so there are tons of parts in yards and parts stores. I even considered Mustang II spindles, because you can get them without paying "specialty rate" because they are mainstream, so I'm open to not making my own, but ultimately I want to be able to get parts if I do something really dumb and have to redo it.

2800passat wrote:
Thanks Jeff. I am putting a lot of my time writing this so youngons can see the good and the bad of my day. I'll let them heed or trash my thoughts. There is a wall in Greece that reads, These children today will not listen, they think blah blah blah...you can not reach them. At the bottom it reads Socretees.(2000 years ago). I am just here to help the new generation take some of my information, but take their own an make some dangerous economical machines. I used to absolutely hate old men until I slooooowy realized they were right. I told my son that I climbed and fell out of a memosa tree in 1965. The sky and the yard looked EXACTLY as it does today. SO there is no difference in the world then and now. It is kinda fun being well hated, but I am trying to reach the ones in the back. The math in today's a/c and w/c buggies is stale and we are old. Take the torch and run forward.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering