It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 pm 

I don't like my steering box leaking. Is it worth switching to rack and pinion? I have a steering dampener and quick steer on my steering. Is bump steer bad on rack and pinion? Any advantage of either?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 am 

rack and pinion all the way 8) you wanna use a center load rack with GOOD heim joints and bolts... no bump steer as long as your steering geometry is rite. if i remember rite, we did the last one (rack) 10 degrees off the beam.. so if the beam is 3 degrees, set it at 13 (center of the beam) they sell a mount kit for it so its real simple.. also, make sure you have the tow set slightly in... one thing to stay away from is drop spindles with rack and pinion, it will make the steering snatch and break your wrist

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:18 pm 

I'm installing a Latest Rage R/P at the moment. I picked up the mount kit Appletree sells along with 4 3/4 heim joints, misalignment spacers, new steering shaft, joints, etc. I drilled out my spindles too 5/8 and I'm going too use the 3/4 heim with 5/8 misalignment spacers. As for the r/p I picked up the adapters too run heims on the box instead of IH tie rod ends. Easier for me too run up too town and grab a heim vs trying too track down a IH rod end. I'm currently waiting on my tie rods, my local shop got me some 18" swedged tubes on the cheap. Once I get it all done and bump steer set, I'll let you know how it works out.

If you stick with stock VW boxes, go ahead and center mount it. Also look into running a S-10 box or similar if you don't go too R/P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:24 pm 

I run a rack out of a grand am you can pick them up at a junk yard for 25 bucks when I ran a stock box I fought it all day long 2 hands and shoulders and arms where sore by mid day. With the rack and pinion I can steer effortlessley with 1 hand in most spots. It is well worth switching from the stock box in my opinion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 pm 

Volksdude... What year grand am did it come from

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:47 pm 

I'm thinking it was a 96 you can get the lower part of the steering shaft w8th the knuckle and it slides right into the stock VW steering shaft. Stevo gave me that helpful info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Buy a saco mines been going for like 6 years maybe more and still like new use to run a box and they work great but just never last over 6 months

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:33 pm 

I got my 95 Grand Am R/P installed last week. Seems to work great. Only drove it a couple of miles on the street, but several hours at Black Mountain. I used a reverse plate,that Odyknuck seen, to be able to put the rack against the torsion which then put the tie rods behind the rack which seems to be in the right geometry. I also used heims, inner and outer with cones.

Trying to post some pics but my android app is staying on the pic and just says "cancel" under the pic..??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 am 
WB Contributor

reno2165 wrote:
rack and pinion all the way 8) you wanna use a center load rack with GOOD heim joints and bolts... no bump steer as long as your steering geometry is rite. if i remember rite, we did the last one (rack) 10 degrees off the beam.. so if the beam is 3 degrees, set it at 13 (center of the beam) they sell a mount kit for it so its real simple.. also, make sure you have the tow set slightly in... one thing to stay away from is drop spindles with rack and pinion, it will make the steering snatch and break your wrist

I have dropped spindles on the orange buggy and a rack and yes, Julie fractured her wrist last week on it... :( Dampner will be installed soon! Drive with cupped hands , not a closed fist!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 pm 

2800passat wrote:
reno2165 wrote:

I have dropped spindles on the orange buggy and a rack and yes, Julie fractured her wrist last week on it... :( Dampner will be installed soon! Drive with cupped hands , not a closed fist!

a dampener does not help, been there and tried that before... the drops throw everything out of whack 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:21 pm 
Master fabricator

reno2165 wrote:

a dampener does not help, been there and tried that before... the drops throw everything out of whack 8)

Just wondering who's drop spindle were you using? Aftermarket or home made?

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm 

MadMike wrote:
reno2165 wrote:

Just wondering who's drop spindle were you using? Aftermarket or home made?

they are a homemade set.. probably 4'' or more. catch a rock or rut or anything just right and it will rip the steering wheel rite out of your hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 pm 
Master fabricator

I'm going to suggest it's not the drop that is causing problems, it's the way the spindles were dropped.
I had 3" drop spindles on my last car and had zero handling problems because of the drop, I had the same issues with them as I did with neutral spindles.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:43 pm 

With rack and pinion, does your buggy get squirrelly on the street at high speeds or does it work as well on road as it does off?

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:56 am 
Master fabricator

chenowth wrote:
With rack and pinion, does your buggy get squirrelly on the street at high speeds or does it work as well on road as it does off?

If the rack is properly set and tight, it shouldn't cause any problems at highway speed. I would think that any bad habits on the road would be wheel alignment, loose or worn parts and tires. All a rack does is converts a circular motion into a longitudinal movement.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:59 pm 

When use say set the rack at the right degree do you set the buggy level then put angle finder on beam and go from there?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering