It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 pm 

Is it worth switching from stock vw pedals to aftermarket hydraulic pedals? Clutch cable broke anyway, and I have 4 wheel brakes. I need to get more braking to the rear anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:10 am 

again, hydraulic all the way.. im assuming 4 wheel disc? im a huge fan of the chevy breaks on the rear, but everything has to be upgraded.. pedals, cut break, etc.. with the chevys, its about pushing volume so everything needs to be 7/8 bore and a 2psi residual valve holds everything tight 8) several different ways to do the fronts, you can install a single break lever with its own resevior for the fronts or do another pedal the same way.. you can also install a T w/ a ball valve in the brake line so you can turn them off and on and they will operate off the same brake pedal

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 am 
WB Contributor

If you are planning on running large bore calipers on the rear and standard vw Super beetle or Gia front brakes then a 7/8" would be the minimum or a single pedal with 2 master cylinders. That is my plan. If however the brakes work ok with the cutter then I have made a bracket and used a nissan clutch master cylinder and welded a bracket on the stock pedal to push the plunger and you will also need a mount for the master.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
At one time I ran stock pedals but after getting stuck on hills and while my foot would start to get the crazy shake from holding the pedal I went with the wilwood pedals and chose the sentra calipers at that time cause of cost and love the setup . Their is a hundred diffent setups and a lot work great . Good luck !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:18 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
At one time I ran stock pedals but after getting stuck on hills and while my foot would start to get the crazy shake from holding the pedal I went with the wilwood pedals and chose the sentra calipers at that time cause of cost and love the setup . Their is a hundred diffent setups and a lot work great . Good luck !

yes, the shaky leg sucks.. its a thing of the past with good breaks 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:23 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:

Yes wilwood masters and slave . Had great luck them them

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:25 pm 

If I use 7/8" bore pedal, what size line will I need? Residual valve has 3/16" fitting doesn't it? I will have disk on rear and drum on front for now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Front drum brakes take alot of abuse from mud and water and aren't very consistent. I'd put them on a separate pedal or lever to use only when needed. Hydraulic pedals are nice and I like mine. And I still get the shaky leg when I gotta pee :shock: . Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:11 pm 

I'm running CNC pedals with 3/4 cylinder along with 3/4 CNC levers with Sentra calipers on rear and have never had very good brakes. Even with stock pedals they sucked. Now my fronts are CNC 3/4 master cylinder on a handmade lever with reg VW calipers and they are great. I think this winter I will upgrade the rear calipers too Wilwood and change over too 7/8 CNC levers and master cylinder on the pedals.

I love my CNC pedals, especially the hydraulic clutch. Go hydraulic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Anytime you run a bigger calliper run the willwood 1 inch master cylinder its 50 bucks and well worth it

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm 

Anyone use the single pedal with dual cylinders for 4 wheel brakes? I was wondering if that would be worth the extra money over single cylinder pedal and using a proportioning valve?

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 pm 

chenowth wrote:
Anyone use the single pedal with dual cylinders for 4 wheel brakes? I was wondering if that would be worth the extra money over single cylinder pedal and using a proportioning valve?

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

I have run most every type of pedal out there and I have always had four wheel brakes. I will never use anything but a dual master on my brakes. With that being said, I will not use a stock vw dual master cylinder set up. When you lose a line with that set up you will lose all brakes. My advise to you is to buy hydraulic clutch and hydraulic dual brakes. Brakes are one thing you should never question if it is a place to save money. Your life lies under that pedal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 pm 

Also, the benefit to running a dual master over a single with a proportioning valve is if you any line you still have two wheels with brakes. As mentioned above, you will want a 2 psi valve on the rear disks. I think I paid $20 for the valve.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering