It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vw caliper verse sentra
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 pm 

i am looking to up grade my brakes currently running vw caliper with a old jeep master clyinder 1inch bore and a 3/4 cnc cutter. brakes work good i can lock 31" tire up no problem. my question is been reading alot about the sentra brakes being the way to go. thinking of putting them on my buggy but a little torn on weather the sentra brakes would be a up grade for me. the vw caliper has two pistons that measure little over 1 1/4"each that added together would be one 2 1/2" piston and what i have found the sentra has a 48 to 50 mm piston which it around 2" piston so what are your thoughts? 2" piston larger brake pad the vw has small pad? floater caliper make it better? dont want to mess with it if i am not gonna gain anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
WB Contributor

when you say vw caliper are you taling about the empi- varga calipers?im assuming yes, which is what i have and ive heard all kind of bad shit about them, BUT, mine seem to work fine i can lock my 31's up as well.i say if it aint broke dont fix it :idea: my only recomendation on these is to keep the piston lubed up and change the pads before they actualy need it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 pm 

Yes the empi calipers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 am 

a buddy of mine swapped vw breaks out for the sentra calipers last week.. we got em hooked up and bled out and he wasnt that impressed with it.. hes got a wilwood MC with a 2psi residual valve and wasnt that big of an improvement over VW... im pretty sure hes gunna go the chevy route, you cant go wrong with it for the $$$

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 am 

kinda what i was thinking i was gonna hear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 am 

x2. If I was going upgrading to a disc brake kit from drum, I would go sentra or something else you can get from a regular parts house. If I already had the VW and they are working, I would stick with them. BTW, if those are the brakes that I'm thinking of, they may be aftermarket but they are originally off a VW karman ghia.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:00 pm 
BOTM Winner

What size Wilwood master?

reno2165 wrote:
a buddy of mine swapped vw breaks out for the sentra calipers last week.. we got em hooked up and bled out and he wasnt that impressed with it.. hes got a wilwood MC with a 2psi residual valve and wasnt that big of an improvement over VW... im pretty sure hes gunna go the chevy route, you cant go wrong with it for the $$$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:48 pm 

davehix wrote:
What size Wilwood master?

reno2165 wrote:

not exactly sure on that.. is there a prefered set-up to run with these breaks?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

We had a 3/4 on our one buggy and it works good. I liked it better than my wilwoods accually .I'm no expert these are just my opinion :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 pm 

davehix wrote:
We had a 3/4 on our one buggy and it works good. I liked it better than my wilwoods accually .I'm no expert these are just my opinion :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ill find out what it is.. maybe a lil more push is all it needs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
WB Contributor

GM metric calipers for a 4wd s-10, Ford Crown Vic front rotor, Speedway caliper bracket, turn down a four lug drum to fit inside. 13 1/2" rotor ventilated all for less than $175.00. I would post photos but HP Freak get upset when I do so if you want them PM me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 am 
WB Contributor

aint noboby wanna see your crappy minivan brakes anyways. Just look through a couple threads and chances are youll know what every inch of red burdens minivan looks like. :wink:

i have yet to complete my brakes so i cant tell you anything about performance but with the sentra setup i have about $200 in it ALL NEW calipers and pads and hoses for nissan sentra, rotors from 74 914, and beetle drums turned down to mount the rotors. gonna start making the mounts this weekend ill let you know how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 am 

hpfreak wrote:
aint noboby wanna see your crappy minivan brakes anyways. Just look through a couple threads and chances are youll know what every inch of red burdens minivan looks like. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...i think him and jesse are in a competiton with each other to see who can post more pics of there buggy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering