It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with brakes please
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 pm 

Havent had any luck bleeding my brakes. I pump the brakes about 4 times have good pressure then a couple seconds later nothing. Not sure on the order I should do them either. whether do the cutter first or what. Do i pump the brakes before I bleed the cutter? Not sure what the proper way is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 am 

bench bleed the master cylinder and work your way back. if you run dual handles and they sit up right, they jus trap air. i bled mine and bled mine, finally i took my cut brake apart cause they sit up at about 45 degrees, poured the cylinders with fluid till they where overflowing and put them back together..that made a huge difference. after that i would ride a lil bit and bleed them, eventually they got purty good. if you have a buddy with a vacuum bleeder, those things work great...good luck, bleeding brakes can be a MOFO

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 am 
WB Contributor

just did mine with al new and the cutters are straight up. suxs ass. done mine all kinds of ways, powwrrrrr bleeding is probably best but.............the paper that comes with the brakes says to pump the brake.then crack bleeder, then accuate cutter brake to the side your bleeding, and close bleeder, then release the pedal then cutter, :roll: but i dont have a very stiff pedal so far but the wheels lock up and the cutters work, so :roll: tell us what you do :wink: make sure you dont run the reservoir dry while doing it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 am 
WB Contributor

Make sure you don't have a stuck piston in a caliper.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:34 am 

Thanks guys Ill give it a shot. and yeah I have to refill mine after each bleed. its a pain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Take off the caliper that you are bleeding, shove something in the pads, and put it up as high as you can... Air will flow to the highest point of the system. Then, pump your brake pedal VERY slow a few times and hold it, and since you have a new system, you may want to hold the cutter brake corresponding to the caliper that you have loose, and crack the bleeder. If you pump the pedal too hard or fast, you will push the air bubbles around, and end up getting some stuck in the little crevises of the caliper. This WILL work, and it involves no special gadgets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you are not in a big hurry, I also suggest taking off all your calipers and cracking the bleeders, then hang them as high as you can and let them "drip bleed" over night. This will help push out majority of your air, but make sure your MC is full.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:14 pm 

Thanks Jeff know you told me that before but the bleeder on the cutter confused me. I Bench bled the master seemed to get a lot of air out. Ill hang up the calipers too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My cutter doesn't have a bleeder.. You must have cnc cutters. I wouldn't necessarily worry about bleeding the cutter to be honest...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:23 pm 

took all of your advice. Went from about 6 pumps to about 1 or 2 and the pedal is stiff. Cutter still isn't very good at all. anyone know how to bench bleed one? When I bench bled my master cylinder it seems to help a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you dont have a power bleeder setup yet I recomend you build one. Makes this a hellova lot easier. Sometimes its best to just force a ton of oil to find one little bubble f'in you up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm 

Not sure if you got this fixed. Here is how I bleed my CNC set up.

Hold one cutter as you slowly pump the brakes. You will feel the cutter being pulled from your hand from the pressure. Let the cutter be pushed down by the brake pedal as you pump but keep slight tension on the cutter. Hold down brake pedal and keep pulling on the cutter. When the bleeder is opened pull the cutter the whole way. Repeat on other side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:17 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have a power bleeder you can use. Or you can make one with a garden sprayer and some clear hose for less than $25.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 am 
WB Contributor

Wiggle your wheels if all else fails. Had a bearring housing so worn out ,the outter bearring was moving around making the rotor move pads all around and it would bleed out good but have a soft pedal.I took the blade off an old feeler gauge and crammed it between the bearring and the egg shaped housing and it fixed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 pm 

brakes are decent now. One pump and I'm good. thanks brad might try making one of those. thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Plans for a home made pressure bleeder.
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

You can just put a schrader valve in your cap instead of a barbed fitting. Then when you're done bleeding just put the valve stem cap on your good to go.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering