It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 pm 

I have been stalking for a while now. Found a lot of good info for past issues and ideas. I am cramped for space in my buggy. I might have 2 inches between my seats. Where have you guys mounted your turning brakes? I have drum brakes and one of my problems is not knowing how far it will travel from neutral position. I don't see it taking the full travel which is about 8 inches or so in either direction. Ohh and its a single handle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 pm 
WB Contributor

single handle should fit between seats? or mount next to shifter? I myself have dual handle cutters. mounted infront of the shifter on a bracket that takes them Up about 8inchs or so, and angled back toward me about 3 -4 in from steering wheel so my hand is never to far away from either. could take pic for ya tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 pm 

a duel handle would be better if you stop on a hill you can hold both so you can start again but either way try making a bracket from between the seats and come up higher than you seats that way your hand can go from shifter to cutting brakes good luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm 

damn you guys are fast. I was uploading some visuals.

Here is the space between my seats. it is just enough to fit the brake but i have long arms and mounting it behind the shifter anywhere has me tucked up trying to pull it. I would also be elbowing the passenger everytime I lift it.

Here was my first idea but then i thought i would have issues trying to bleed the system with the bleeder not beeing the highest point.

Lead me to this idea, has a comfortable reach but it limits me on center console or dash options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:21 pm 
WB Contributor

hm. your second idea at the angle is something like my setup...What if you made a bracket and mounted on left side of driver seat? Have seen a few buggies this way that were limited on space.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm 

yea there not much room you can try putting a piece on metal in front of your shifter from the floor up to cross bar by steering wheel on an angle and slide it over a little so it clears your console i have seen some chaindrives like that just make sure its comformable and eazy to get to

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:33 pm 

jayrod wrote:
hm. your second idea at the angle is something like my setup...What if you made a bracket and mounted on left side of driver seat? Have seen a few buggies this way that were limited on space.

i was thinking about the left side earlier but hadnt went out there and held it up to see if it would work. I'd really like to keep it on my right hand but beggars cant be choosers. I also think that i could mount it between my seats and get a stock bug shifter and have the handle bent up beside the shifter, its kind of comfortable in that position but the damn reverse lock thumb button is what stopped me from doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:55 pm 
WB Contributor

Heres an idea...Not sure it room under the edge of the seats would allow it though...But say you mount the cutter between the seats and bent your shift rod in that spot, like jog around it. or another one ive seen, Mount cutter offset to one side, and put a bend/ S type curve in the lever to get it away from the shifter.. Just rattling off ideas lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm 

can you guys see my pictures okay. When i look at them the right half of all 3 of them is cut off. Didnt know if it was my computer or the way i uploaded them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:01 am 
WB Contributor

they are cut off. need to go down a size or too when u upload them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 am 

jayrod wrote:
Heres an idea...Not sure it room under the edge of the seats would allow it though...But say you mount the cutter between the seats and bent your shift rod in that spot, like jog around it. or another one ive seen, Mount cutter offset to one side, and put a bend/ S type curve in the lever to get it away from the shifter.. Just rattling off ideas lol

Tomorrow i think i am going to see if i can get the s curve to work again. I tried it by taking measurements and bending some stainless steel tubing as a mock up and it ended up being right beside my shifter. I dont remember if i looked at a scenario where it would come up a little shorter than my shifter so it would be below my thumb when pressing the reverse button. I'll post up again tomorrow with the results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:09 am 

Here ya go. These are better

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:17 am 
WB Contributor

i dont see the angle mount working so well with it being a push pull...pushing up and forward would be difficult lol. best of luck buddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am 

Sideways under your seat, that way when you see a tree getting close and your arse cheeks pucker up, they'll pull the cutter and save yer buggy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 am 

Quote:
i dont see the angle mount working so well with it being a push pull...pushing up and forward would be difficult lol. best of luck buddy

cut a little off the handle then you should be able to bout half the handle thats what i had to do works perfect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:41 pm 

If you aren't committed to having the shifter were it is at now you could move it forward and set the cutter behind it and off to the passenger side under the edge of the seat and tilt it towards the driver's side. I ran a single Jamar like this once but the handle was shorter than yours and did not stick up any higher than the shifter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm 

You got a tight fit getting in an out of your buggy still? Might make things worse if you mount it to the left. I seem to remember when I had mine all dialed in and brakes bled and adjusted, it didn't come anywhere near the full travel. The handle traveled more like 5 inches front to back. IIRC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm 

Bubbalowe wrote:
If you aren't committed to having the shifter were it is at now you could move it forward and set the cutter behind it and off to the passenger side under the edge of the seat and tilt it towards the driver's side. I ran a single Jamar like this once but the handle was shorter than yours and did not stick up any higher than the shifter.

This is prrtty much what I'm going to try. My shifter box is just tacked right now. I am going to move it forward 1 ' and I think that will open it up a little more. I was also wondering since I would be elbowing the passenger when I pull it up. What if I welded on 2 ends, like a "Y" handle. The lower handle would be to grab and pull up were it just clears the seat and the extra tip would be higher to push down because my hand wouldn't be able to go between the seats if I were to push down the lower handle. Kind of sounds weird reading it but it makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:44 pm 
WB Contributor

Just do whatever works. lol :wink:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering