It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

How would you prefer to power front brakes?
Hand Brake 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Proportioning valve off brake pedal 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
Front brakes? What are those? 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 am 

Just wanted to add the results of my shakedown run for anyone that reads this post later.

My brake set-up is:

- Wilwood front calipers, I think the smallest they make.

- 1979 Chevy 2500 4x4 front calipers mounted in the rear, with the Chevy backing plate. They are floating calipers, cheap from auto zone, and have a huge single piston. I had to cut the center from my backing plate and it welded to the arm. I also had to clearance the caliper with a grinder at the bottom, it was rubbing on the rotor. The backing plate lightly rubbed my rim, also clearanced with a grinder. No strength *should* have been lost.

- Rear rotors are the stock rear for a 2002 S-10. I chose those because the cheapo rotors the 'economy' disk brake kit comes with will slide inside the chevy rotors. I cut the rotor portion off of my rotors, and re-drilled the s-10 rotors to accept the 4 lug pattern I am running.

- 3/4" master cylinder, I need to up-size that. It has a spongy feel to it, and grabs a bit farther down in the stroke than I would like. Summit has a 1" and a 1 1/8", I haven't decided which one yet. the 1 1/8" has a plastic resivour, the 1" is aluminum. I want the big one with aluminum, don't know which way to go yet.

- Wilwood proportioning valve on the front, rears hooked straight up.

Results are, the proportioning valve seems to be unnecessary. It is turned to full power front, and they seem to work perfectly with each other. The rears lock up first, as they should, unless I am backing down a steep hill. I may turn the fronts down a little bit, but so far I haven't had a good reason to. Going down a steep hill I can stop on a quarter if I need to, and backing down a steep hill the fronts lock up right before the buggy is stopped. Overall I think the setup works perfectly, except for my master cylinder being too small.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering