It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

How would you prefer to power front brakes?
Hand Brake 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Proportioning valve off brake pedal 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
Front brakes? What are those? 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:06 pm 

*Edit* My results and opinion on top of page 2

I've heard arguments for both and I need to make a decision on which way to go. What does everyone prefer? I'm running front discs.

Last edited by Jules083 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have my front brakes on my pedal and dual cutters to use rear only if I need. In a panic situation I want all 4 locked up. Also if you are in a position where you need all 4 brakes then just a cutter to turn it is hard to do while not holding the steering wheel, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 pm 

Im with nitro i drink way to much not to have 4 wheel brakes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:05 pm 

I don't knoww if u could do this or not how about front brakes on a pedal and then also on a single cutter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:08 pm 

And I was just being a smart *** when voting for front brakes what are those? Cuz like very one else said theey would come in handy when in a sticcky situation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:59 pm 

goofydoofy wrote:
I don't knoww if u could do this or not how about front brakes on a pedal and then also on a single cutter

Hmmm.... Master cylinder to ball valve to proportioning valve to hand brake to cutter. Ball valve on means it works off the pedal or hand brake. Ball valve off is hand brake only. It's the most expensive and complicated option though. Might be a bit redundant, and in the end i'd never use one or the other. Damn you for giving me another option. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I recomend using dual resevours with a balence bar. This way if a line breakes you still have the fronts or rears.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

I prefer a separate foot pedal for the front brakes 8) If I want to go down a hill and need to steer the buggy with the rear cutters, I still can control my front and rear brakes with my foot and still have control on where I need to take the buggy with the rear cutters, this is almost like having rear wheel steering, I have tried it before to see what it does, let off the front brake to see if the buggy will hold ground on a steep hill, it failed, as soon as I let off it goes down pretty quick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm 

4 wheel brakes, rears into proportional valve and then into twin fiddles to calipers.

That way, you can have maximum braking effort possible on the pedal, steering brake on one fiddle, or bias to the rear/rear only on both fiddle levers.
The prop. valve slowly limits the rear pressure and biases more to the front under heavy braking (heavier brake line pressure = must have more grip = more weight transfer = need more front bias)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

PhillipM wrote:
4 wheel brakes, rears into proportional valve and then into twin fiddles to calipers.

That way, you can have maximum braking effort possible on the pedal, steering brake on one fiddle, or bias to the rear/rear only on both fiddle levers.
The prop. valve slowly limits the rear pressure and biases more to the front under heavy braking (heavier brake line pressure = must have more grip = more weight transfer = need more front bias)

Same as mine, seems to work great. Also works like BaddVW said. Ride the pedal and still pull either cutter as you need to make a turn. Or pull both levers to have rear only. Have never heard a reason you would need fronts only. And if you use one hand on steering wheel, the other on the front brakes you cant use the rear cutters as well. But I know alot of guys like it that way, just not sure why yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I really like my proportional valve. If you are backing down a hill, you do not want your front tires to lock up and you are most likely using a combination of pedal and cutter to steer you backwards. I do not know how people can use a cutter brake and a front lever at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 pm 

the hell if i know i been riding buggys for over 12 years i never even thought about putting brakes on front i have enuff trouble keeping the back brakes working right

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 pm 

My car sees a fair amount of street use so i would'nt even consider a hand brake. I love my 4 wheel brakes in the woods also. I still have stock drum brakes up front and 4 piston calipers in the rear. It works great so far the fronts are just poor enough that they resist locking uo when you don't want them to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 am 

You guys cleared that right up. :lol:

So I need a handbrake for the front, with a proportioning valve, and a balance bar, and another pedal to run the fronts, but drums are better because they don't work as good, and I don't need front brakes at all because it's hard enough to keep the backs working right. :? :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I don't want a fourth pedal. I have a hard enough time remembering what the one on the left does now. Something about starting out with less grinding or something, I can't remember right now. I'm sure it works great for those of you with enough skill and practice. I can see myself hitting the wrong pedal or having a foot on each brake then needing the clutch in a hurry and something going wrong.

I don't want drum brakes. I can never seem to get them to work right, I think I'm running low on magic or something.

I'm going to go with a proportioning valve from summitt and put in inline ball valve in. I'll probably never need the ball valve but it's easier to put it in now than have to run new lines and bleed them all over again later. All of the ones I've seen claim a max reduction of 57%. I was hoping to find one that would just go all the way to 0%, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

It'll be a bit before everything is done. I just got my new front end from Mad Mike, so I have a good bit of setting up, working out steering, powdercoating, ordering parts, etc. Thanks for all of the advice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:11 am 
Global moderator

I think of it like it is a motor cycle,,,,front brakes separate so you use them only when, and as much as you need to. It is also the easiest solution,,,,just get a small master cylinder at the junk yard,,,,like a clutch master cylinder ,,,make a handle ,,and run some lines

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

On a motorcycle it is for safty due to the dangers of locking up either tire. Plus I still, personally, dont like the idea of not being able to use the rear cutters, steering wheel, and front brakes on a handle at the same time. I am not saying that having the fronts on a handle is bad, just havnt had a good reason explained to me as of yet. Sorry I use alot of logic untill I drink :mrgreen: Still doesn't mean I am right though. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 pm 
WB Videographer

I've got my front brake lever positioned, so I can use the right side of my right knee to push it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Nice Maddog. I like baddvw/chads. He has a second break pedal for the fronts, but I just don't have the room on the floorboard of a 2 seater.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:35 pm 
Global moderator

nitro_mudder wrote:
On a motorcycle it is for safty due to the dangers of locking up either tire. same here,,,duh Plus I still, personally, dont like the idea of not being able to use the rear cutters, steering wheel, and front brakes on a handle at the same timewhy would you want to think of it much less do it . I am not saying that having the fronts on a handle is bad, just havnt had a good reason explained to me as of yet.wrong,,,,just did ,,,duh again Sorry I use alot of logic untill I drink :mrgreen: Still doesn't mean I am right though. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm 

Firebug wrote:
nitro_mudder wrote:
On a motorcycle it is for safty due to the dangers of locking up either tire. same here,,,duh Plus I still, personally, dont like the idea of not being able to use the rear cutters, steering wheel, and front brakes on a handle at the same timewhy would you want to think of it much less do it . I am not saying that having the fronts on a handle is bad, just havnt had a good reason explained to me as of yet.wrong,,,,just did ,,,duh again Sorry I use alot of logic untill I drink :mrgreen: Still doesn't mean I am right though. :roll:

Im with nitro :oops: but your logic on this and explanation is what seems wrong,,,,duh :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Firebug wrote:
nitro_mudder wrote:

My buggy doesnt fall over if I lock up the brakes, does yours? And I still like going from four brakes to cutters and back without letting go of the steering wheel or having any non-brake time in between.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 pm 
Global moderator

whatever

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm 
Southern Buggys / WB Sponsor

I would recommend a single cutter steering brake with a custom pull lever on the steering brake handle for front brakes. I can get you a price on this set up if you would like..... gives you more control when going down a hill with ruts and turns..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

RDB#3 wrote:
I would recommend a single cutter steering brake with a custom pull lever on the steering brake handle for front brakes. I can get you a price on this set up if you would like..... gives you more control when going down a hill with ruts and turns..

hey rodger you talking about a setup like troy has, if so that would be perfect imo

if so let me know how much

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:39 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Chris was telling me about that setup. It is the only way I would put muy fronts on a handle.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering