It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:22 am 

:x Trying to get everything lined out preparing for trip to LBL this weekend and I fix one thing and 10 more things screw up it seems!!! Noticed my drivers side caliper was barely dripping whenever you pushed brake pedal/pulled cutting brake and ended up having to replace little brass fittings going into caliper, no big deal...Well after putting it back together I go to pump em up and bleed em and the cutting brake won't build any pressure. brake pedal has all kinds and works fine, I've bled and bled the drivers side hand brake and although it's getting fluid, still won't pump up to where its always been. But, if I hold the brake pedal down, I can pull the hand brake and it feels great, just as it always did. I've came to conclusin that I've just got air in the system but I've "burped" all the lines that I have and haven't had any luck. Cutting brakes are twin handle Neals' and do not have bleeder on them. Any suggestions???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:10 am 
WB Contributor

I had a frozen caliper once that gave me a great foot pedal but the cut brake would not bleed for nothing. It did not make sense but that was the cause.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am 

iv used to always have trouble with cutters until i realized they need to be bench bled just like the master cylinder does.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:27 pm 

unbolt your rear calipers and put a block of wood between your pads and raise your caliper as high as you can and then hold your brake pedal down open bleeder and pull your cutter....works everytime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm 
Global moderator

Pak Rat 2056 wrote:
unbolt your rear calipers and put a block of wood between your pads and raise your caliper as high as you can and then hold your brake pedal down open bleeder and pull your cutter....works everytime

I have had the best luck doing it this way too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:07 pm 

why does this help? im having the same problem right now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:59 pm 

tried this last night and still not having any luck... I'm getting plenty of fluid but the cutter just won't build any pressure unless you hold brake pedal, then it feels normal. It's got air in it I'm almost positive, just matter of finding out where and how to get it out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 pm 
WB Contributor

passat2800 wrote:
I had a frozen caliper once that gave me a great foot pedal but the cut brake would not bleed for nothing. It did not make sense but that was the cause.

If you tried the above then try this. There has to be a check valve (a BB in a tube )(pressure 1 way only) or a shuttle valve(a BB that shuttles one side to the other inside the cut brake).When these BB's travel in corroded tubes and one day for some reason they get to travel a distance they never traveled before into some cruddier passages they get stuck.Now. it's back to what I say. I hate everything California screws us with. Build your ride from factory Pull a Part stuff. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
WB Contributor

passat2800 wrote:
passat2800 wrote:

If you tried the above then try this. There has to be a check valve (a BB in a tube )(pressure 1 way only) or a shuttle valve(a BB that shuttles one side to the other inside the cut brake).When these BB's travel in corroded tubes and one day for some reason they get to travel a distance they never traveled before into some cruddier passages they get stuck.Now. it's back to what I say. I hate everything California screws us with. Build your ride from factory Pull a Part stuff. :?

Damn does pull a part have cutter brakes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 pm 

kevin f wrote:
passat2800 wrote:
passat2800 wrote:

Damn does pull a part have cutter brakes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If they do then im stockin up on a few sets tomorrow lol :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:49 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i may have missed it but what brand master cylinder. cutting break, and calipers are you using???????????

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 am 
WB Contributor

Good point :D . If you look at the Panzerwagen or the Passat, the ONLY thing you will see from California are cutbrakes. And they, like foot brakes are designed to bring you back in a year or 2.The cutbrakes in the panzerwagen are acting up now. Those IMI starters aswell. Why do my grease ball junk yard starters last forever.I don't have time to go on and on...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:19 am 
BOTM Winner

Try tilting the cutter brake assembly forward and to each side while bleeding to allow any trapped air to get out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

Make sure your cutter brake piston's are returning all the way so the the fluid transfer ports are not being covered up. There also needs to be some end play in the Handle(s). You can only remove the air if fluid is replacing it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:30 am 

I forgot to add what brake system I'm using my bad... Only thing I'm not sure about is the master cyl, looks to be stock (has the "clip on" top ), using nissan sentra calipers & Neal turning brake assembly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:16 pm 

you got me interested. i got dual handle neal cutters. they are soft and don't grab til about 5k rpm. course i can't bled like they were sayin either. if i hold the pedal down the pressure holds my cutters in place. can't use brake and cutters at same time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:22 pm 

3drinkminimum wrote:
they are soft and don't grab til about 5k rpm.

Brakes shouldn't be a function of the motor RPM's :?: To me it should work less.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:30 pm 

its as though they cant slow the wheel enough to make a difference unless its tached out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:54 am 

Push the footbrake down to build pressure, then pull the cutter and have your assistant open the bleed valve, might shift it.
Never release the cutter handle after that, once they shut the valve keep the pressure on the cutting brake and pump it back up with the pedal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 am 

PhillipM wrote:
Push the footbrake down to build pressure, then pull the cutter and have your assistant open the bleed valve, might shift it.
Never release the cutter handle after that, once they shut the valve keep the pressure on the cutting brake and pump it back up with the pedal.

I also do it this way works good

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am 

X2!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:10 pm 

I've done everything that everyone's mentioned on here so far with my buggy as well and none of these trick's have worked.When I Bleed my brakes, this is how I do it. I push the footbrake down to build pressure, then pull the cutter and have my assistant open the bleeder valve, I never release the cutter handle after that, once they shut the valve keep the pressure on the cutting brake and pump it back up with the pedal.......I've done this with both side's. I've taken all the calipers loose and mounted them to be the highest points, so that hopefully the air would travel up. No luck! I've picked the ass end of my buggy up with our new holland till it was hanging straight down simulating I was coming off a cliff and tried bleeding the rear caliber's that way. Still no luck..... If I hold the foot pedal down the pressure holds my cutters in place and they're hard. Soon as I let go of the foot brake though, my cutter's go back to a sponge. When I climb hill's, I actually have to feather my foot brake, in order to use my cutting brake's which kills my momentum. I even bought a hand vacuum brake bleed pump from autozone and this didn't fix it. I'm considering going to a floating set of caliber's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:42 pm 
WB Videographer

GaHillClimber
After bleeding and setting for awhile, do keep getting air when you try to rebleed from one of the calibers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 pm 

[quote="Maddog"]GaHillClimber
After bleeding and setting for awhile, do keep getting air when you try to rebleed from one of the calibers?

No, after sitting up, there's nothing but a constant stream. no air.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:27 pm 
WB Videographer

Then you might have the right idea about a floating caliber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering