It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rear brakes locking
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:20 pm 
WB Contributor

Ive got fred rendons buggy here at my house. He has developed a problem with the brakes locking and nor releasing. This is what ive tried so far. Pumped the brakes up until the locked. Cracked the line on the out going side of the cutter brake and it released. Pumped the brake back up until it locked again and took the line loose from the incoming side of the cutter and nothing. Ive adjusted the cutter as far as it will adjust and the handle is moving with adjustment so I know he piston is all the way free. It acts like the cutter brake isnt letting the [pressure off. It started this a couple months ago and we replace the entire brake system and still have the same problem. He has dual cuttlers with the lay down style handles. He mounted the cutters upright with the handles straight up and down. Any help will be a blessing. Ive tried everything i know to do. Thanks

Post subject: Re: rear brakes locking
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Have you tried to just bypass the Cutting brake to see if the problem goes away.. It has to be the Peddle, Cutter or Caliper.. You can try to isolate the problem one at a time..

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Did he recently rebuild the cutters? The piston stop might be threaded in to far not letting the piston back far enough and locking it up. That's what happened to mine when I rebuilt them.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 pm 
WB Contributor

So far ive just tried bleeding the pressure off at different places. The pressure bled off behind the cutter but not infront. The cutter is brand new but I think fred took them apart to bleed them. The bores are vertical and the brake lines feed from the bottom. Im gunna check tommorow and ckeck where he took them apart.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:08 pm 
WB Contributor

Got it fixed. What I found was that a dual handle cnc cutter has an allen head set screw that hold the cap in. The cap screws into the cnc cylinder and the set crew holds it. The screw in cap is whayt holds the piston inside the cylinder. It was screwed in to far from the factory and wouldnt let the piston return enough to release presure back to the master cylinder. 8) 8) 8) I scrfewed them out about one turn and no more problems.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 am 

I was just going to tell ya to try that,Thats what I get for not lookin in daily lol I have been running into this prob for a couple years! yea for Good Quality Control!! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm 
WB Contributor

Is this the set screw under the rubber dust boot ? my wifes buggy is locking up the passenger side and you have to pump the foot pedal until it pops free

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 am 

aboone993 wrote:
Is this the set screw under the rubber dust boot ? my wifes buggy is locking up the passenger side and you have to pump the foot pedal until it pops free

Yes loosen it then turn sleeve out about 1/2 turn

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering