It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 brake pedals?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 am 

I remember when I was younger my dad used to have a tractor that had 2 brake pedals, one for the left brake, one for the right. You could lock the 2 together or separate them for cutting brakes. It sounds clumsy, but it wasn't. I am not thinking of doing this for cutting brakes, but rather for front brakes/back brakes. I want to run 4 brakes, but I don't want to use all 4 all the time. I am eithor going to do this, or use a hand brake for the front. I was thinking something like the attached picture. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: 2 brake pedals?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:40 am 

I thought about doing something similar but didn't. Let me know how you like it. With a little practice knowing your pedals should work nicely. I would think going front to rear and not side to side, you would need identical calipers all the way around or when you hit both pedals they will travel different distances. :?:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:43 am 

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
I thought about doing something similar but didn't. Let me know how you like it. With a little practice knowing your pedals should work nicely. I would think going front to rear and not side to side, you would need identical calipers all the way around or when you hit both pedals they will travel different distances. :?:

Good point on the pedal travel, that's the kind of things I am looking for. Things I may not think of. Hmmm...even with identicle parts, the travel may still be off a little.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

BadVW has a similer setup but the front break is all the way on the left, then work the clutch with either foot. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I am going to use the foot pedal for the rear brakes and a hand handle for the front.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i like my hand brake for the front brakes 8)

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 am 
BOTM Winner

superdrag wrote:
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I am going to use the foot pedal for the rear brakes and a hand handle for the front.

Wise decision. You always know what brakes your using that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 am 
BOTM Winner

nitro_mudder wrote:
BadVW has a similer setup but the front break is all the way on the left, then work the clutch with either foot. Just an idea.

I do have 2 seperate brake pedals but, the pedal on the farthest left is my clutch and I use it with my left foot only and use the left brake pedal for my front and the right pedal for my rear, if I want to use both ends of braking at once, I just roll my right foot to where I can use my heel to press on the front brake and also rock my foot applying different pressures to the front and back to where I want the brakes to perform when needed, it works great for me and never had issues since day one other than breaking the fitting off of one of my front brake calipers and still can use rear brakes to continue to ride 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:57 am 

you ever think about using all four brakes on the same pedal then use a proportioning valve for the two front brakes,you can turn them down a little or completely off,i run small calipers on the front on two buggys and they work great for me and my daughter,you dont have to worry bout hitting another lever.just a lil food for thought

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm 

ridenrace6 wrote:
i like my hand brake for the front brakes 8)

x2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Quote:
you ever think about using all four brakes on the same pedal then use a proportioning valve for the two front brakes,you can turn them down a little or completely off,i run small calipers on the front on two buggys and they work great for me and my daughter,you dont have to worry bout hitting another lever.just a lil food for thought

this is how mine is and like it alot

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 am 

I use an inline hydraulic flow control valve on my front brakes. What I like about the flow controls is that you can shut them completely off if you want or open them completely up....most proportioning valves have a limited range of adjustment. I mounted my flow control off of the shifter housing and up close to the seat.
That way tuning the front brakes is just a quick turn of the knob and you can dial in your brakes on the fly for asphalt, gravel, dirt, hills, etc. Best of all if your on the road and you have a panic stop situation you can just stomp on the brake pedal instead of manually manipulating your brake bias.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering